A graduate of Amherst College, Dr. Alan J. Margolis, MD worked in research in the Stanford University Department of Neuroendocrinology in 1978. A strong interest in neuroscience led him to Georgetown University where he obtained a Master’s Degree in Physiology. Dr. Margolis was involved full-time in Neuroscience research at Albert Einstein University from 1980-1981. He attended SUNY-Downstate and received his MD degree in 1986. He completed his internship in Internal Medicine and he attended Long Island Jewish Hospital for his residency program in Ophthalmology, where he was Chief Resident.
After completing his residency, Dr. Margolis joined the practice of Ophthalmic Consultants in New York City and practiced there between 1989 – 1991. In 1991, Dr. Margolis decided to move west and open his own practice. Since moving to Colorado, Dr. Margolis has built a strong, vibrant and well respected ophthalmology practice. He is indeed living the dream of caring for his neighbors, young and old, in this terrific Denver community.
Dr. Margolis was director of education for the Porter Hospital Department of Ophthalmology between 1992 – 1993. He served as chairman of the Ophthalmology Department for Centura-Porter Hospital between 1995 – 1997. During this time he was instrumental in helping to establish the Excimer Laser Center at Porter Hospital. Dr. Margolis enjoys gourmet cooking, travel, biking, tennis, skiing and playing with his golden retrievers.
In addition, Dr. Margolis is affiliated with the following professional organizations:
- Chairman of the Credentialing Committee of Physicians EyeCare Network (1994 – 1997)
- Chairman of the Legislative Committee of the Colorado Ophthalmology Society (1995 – 1997)
- Chairman of the Excimer Laser Section of Porter Hospital (1997 – 1998)
- Member Credentialing Committee of Eye Health Network (1997 – 1999)
- Colorado Ophthalmology Society, Member
- American Board of Ophthalmology, Diplomate
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, Member
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, Member
Assistant Clinical Professor at the Rocky Vista University of Colorado
Please contact Colorado Ophthalmology and CosMEDics today to schedule your initial consultation. Dr. Alan Margolis serves patients in Lone Tree, CO and the Denver Metropolitan area.