What to expect
Dilation drops are applied so that the doctor can examine the back of your eyes during your exam. The dilating drops applied in an adult’s eyes wear off in approximately 4-6 hours for most patients but can take up to 24-36 hours for some patients.. For children, the dilation could last up to 24 hours. The drops used to dilate your eyes only affect your near vision, not your distance vision. Sunglasses will aid you in driving after your appointment and we always have disposable sunglasses/clips for your use if you should need them. If you have had difficulty in the past with the effects of the dilating drops, you may want to arrange transportation for after your office visit.
After finishing the first phase of your appointment with the technician, you will be escorted to the dilating room for approximately 18 minutes before seeing the doctor. This time period is crucial for allowing the dilation drops to take full effect.
To help pass this time, a multimedia presentation addresses eye health issues and up-to-date technological advances in refractive and cosmetic surgery. Please help yourself to the coffee bistro and to one of the many popular magazine subscriptions we have in our reception area.
You will be introduced to our Optical Manager. Feel free to look around the optical shop as you wait for your eyes to dilate.
Once your pupils have fully dilated, your doctor will welcome you back to the exam room. A thorough examination of your eyes, including a fundus exam, will take place and the doctor will spend time answering your questions.
The entire length of your appointment could last 1 to 1 ½ hours. We are a surgical practice that specializes in examining the complete health of your eyes.
To prepare for your appointment, please attend to the following steps:
- Please complete the enclosed patient packet before your appointment and bring it with you at the time of your appointment.
- Bring your most current insurance card and, upon arrival, please notify the front desk if you have any Routine Eye Care Coverage.
- If you wear contact lenses, please be prepared to remove them upon arrival for your appointment.
- Please bring a list of your current medications you are taking.
- Please dress comfortably for your eye appointment. You may have a normal meal before arriving for your exam. No fasting is necessary for this type of office appointment.
- We look forward to seeing you soon for your eye exam. If you should have any questions before your appointment with us, we invite you to contact our staff at 303-797-1150.
Please contact Colorado Ophthalmology and CosMEDics today to schedule your initial consultation. We serve patients in Lone Tree and throughout the Denver area.